About the program
A New Graduate Advanced Practice Provider (APP) has gone through two to four years of advanced education and clinical rotations following undergraduate preparation. Their medical education and clinical experience can vary, with a minimal previous experience of three to five years as a registered nurse. Taking this into consideration, initial employment can be overwhelming for the New Graduate APP.
A structured family nurse practitioner (FNP) residency program for new graduate APPs will provide a supportive entry into practice. The goal of the program is to eliminate wide variations in on-boarding and improving competency at the entry level.
During the program, the APP will be paired up with a willing preceptor to allow for collaboration and hands-on education. Structured online and in-classroom continuing education modules will help guide clinical decision making, improve documentation, and expand skill set. The FNP resident will complete hands-on training in the outpatient and inpatient clinics, with various specialists, primary care provider(s) and hospitalist(s).
The mission of Mohawk Valley Health System Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program is to provide new graduate nurse practitioners a structured environment to build upon entry into practice with supportive clinical rotations and education to enhance clinical performance to deliver competent, high quality health care to the patients and the community they serve in a primary care role.
Vision Statement: Mohawk Valley Health System Family Nurse Practitioner Residency program envisions a structured program that will provide a high-quality training environment to new graduate nurse practitioners to build upon skills, knowledge, and confidence to deliver effective quality patient care in a primary care provider role. The goal of the program is to eliminate wide variations in on-boarding while improving competency at the entry level. The desired outcomes of the program include improve job satisfaction that would result in provider retention while enhancing provider autonomy and clinical confidence to manage complex patient care within the community.
Goals of the Program
- Improve clinical confidence to deliver high quality patient care to the community.
- Increase clinical knowledge through clinical rotations in primary care and various specialty rotations to manage complex patient care.
- Increasing in provider retention and job satisfaction by receiving quality education and training to assist in first year transition as a family nurse practitioner
- Official graduate school transcripts
- One letter of recommendation
- Three contacts for clinical references
- Resume or CV
Submit a response to the following questions, which will assist MVHS in understanding your personal commitment to primary care; reflection on seeking opportunity in a residency program; your interest and motivation.
- Describe your motivation to train in a family nurse practitioner residency program and commitment to serve your community as a primary care provider?
- What are your personal, professional, education and clinical experiences that led you to the nursing profession and pursuing a role as a family nurse practitioner?
- What goals are you seeking to accomplish in the family nurse practitioner residency?
Please note, all FNP residents will be hired as nurse practitioners at MVHS. All applicants are required to have their RN and advanced practice license, federal DEA, and national certification prior to starting clinical sessions. This is NOT a requirement for the application process but will need to be completed for the on-boarding process.
See attached Application: Download Here
The deadline for applications is May 1, 2023.
Please submit your completed application by Mail:
MVHS Whitesboro Medical Office
ATTN: Jennifer D’Onofrio, FNP-BC
37 Main Street
Whitesboro, NY 13492
Or by Email: JDonofri@mvhealthsystem.org