Wynn Hospital Opens at 6 a.m. on Sunday, October 29, 2023
The Mohawk Valley Health System (MVHS) will open New York State’s newest hospital, Wynn Hospital, at 6 a.m. on Sunday, October 29, 2023. Below is important information about healthcare services available on the move day of October 29 and the locations and services following the move to the Wynn Hospital.
At 6 a.m. on the morning of Sunday, October 29, 2023, MVHS will close St. Elizabeth (2209 Genesee Street, Utica) and St. Luke’s (1656 Champlin Avenue, Utica) hospitals and move emergency and acute care services provided through those hospitals to the new Wynn Hospital (111 Hospital Drive, Utica).
Emergency Department (ED): The Wynn Hospital ED (440 Columbia Street, Utica) will open at 6 a.m. on Sunday, October 29, 2023, and ambulances called for emergency patients will take them to the Wynn Hospital. On the day of the move, an ambulance will be posted at both the St. Elizabeth and St. Luke’s EDs to ensure walk-in patients with emergency needs are transported immediately to the Wynn Hospital. (Note that there will also be a number of ambulances on October 29 that will be transporting patients from the existing hospitals to the Wynn Hospital.)
Patient Move on October 29
- 7 a.m. – Ambulances begin moving patients to the Wynn Hospital. As each patient is settled in a room at the Wynn Hospital, a designated family member will be called to let them know the patient has been moved successfully and what time they can arrive at the Wynn to visit (NOTE: there will be no visiting hours at St. Luke’s or St. Elizabeth on the day of the move).
- Late afternoon/early evening – Once all patients are moved, families can come visit their loved ones. They can valet park and will be escorted to the patient’s room.
- Please note: there will be NO road closures associated with the patient move.
While we know that there may be great interest in the patient move day on October 29, we are asking anyone who does not have a specified role in the move (EMS drivers, nurses, etc.) to stay off all hospital campuses (St. Luke’s, St. Elizabeth and the Wynn hospitals). If someone is interested in watching any part of the move, they can do so from the following locations:
- Utica University for St. Luke’s
- Former Women’s and Children’s Health Center on Genesee Street for St. Elizabeth
- Outside Brooklyn Pickle/Parking Lot on State Street for the Wynn Hospital
Free Valet Parking
The Wynn Hospital offers free valet parking from the main entrance for patients and visitors (as well as for those who need handicap accessible parking). Patients and visitors are strongly encouraged to use valet parking as the only available parking lot for patients/visitors is Lot B until the parking garage opens in March 2024. NOTE: the distance from parking Lot B to the front door of the Wynn Hospital is about a half-mile.
Visiting Hours at the Wynn Hospital
General visiting hours are from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Please note that all visitors will be asked for identification (typically a driver’s license), which will be used to generate a badge.
Patients seeking their medical records can call 315-801-8250 or you can get more information and a form to complete on the MVHS website at: mvhealthsystem.org/medical-records. Patient medical records and the medical records office are located at the St. Elizabeth College of Nursing, 2215 Genesee Street, Utica.
There is NO outpatient blood draw station/lab at the Wynn Hospital. Locations for all MVHS outpatient labs are available on the MVHS website.
Medical Services Available at the Wynn Hospital:
- Inpatient: Medical/Surgical Units, Intensive Care Unit, Intermediate Care Units, Maternity Unit, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Pediatrics, Hematology/Oncology, Psychiatry, Noninvasive and Interventional Cardiology, Surgical Services, Cardiothoracic Surgical Services, Dialysis, GI Services, Advanced Endoscopy, Interventional Radiology, Comprehensive Stroke Center Program, Level III Trauma Service, Vascular Access, Wound Care, Inpatient Rehab Therapies, Imaging Services, Laboratory Services, Pharmacy Services.
- Outpatient: Imaging and MRI services, Noninvasive and Interventional Cardiology, Interventional Radiology, Surgical Services, Emergency Department, Clinical Decision Unit.
Services That Continue on the MVHS St. Luke’s and St. Elizabeth Campuses:
The Center for Rehabilitation and Continuing Care Services building will remain open on the St. Luke’s Campus after the move. Services contained in this building include: Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit and Home Care Services.
The St. Luke’s Professional Office Building will continue to house some professional services, such as physician offices (MVHS surgical and neuroendovascular offices), until early 2024 when the new Medical Office Building downtown is complete. Impacted patients will receive direct communication as we get closer to the move date.
The St. Elizabeth College of Nursing, Sleep Center, Health Information Management/Medical Records and MVHS Finance/Billing Office will remain on the St. Elizabeth Campus.