April 6, 2020
UTICA, N.Y. – In accordance with a New York State Department of Health directive for updated COVID-19 guidance regarding Obstetrical settings, Mohawk Valley Health System (MVHS) has updated its visitor restrictions for Labor and Delivery. The new restrictions allow women in labor one support person essential to patient care throughout labor, delivery and the immediate postpartum period. This person can be the patient’s spouse, partner, sibling, doula or another person they choose. In these settings, this person will be the only support person allowed to be present during the patient’s care.
The support person:
- Must be in good health and cannot be a person under investigation (PUI) for COVID-19 or be COVID-19 positive
- Will be screened for symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, cough, or shortness of breath) and receive a temperature check every 12 hours
- Must wear a mask, gloves and gown at all times while in the hospital except while bathing and eating
- Must bring everything they will need from home for the duration of their stay
- Is expected to stay in the room with the patient and will not be allowed to come and go.
- Will be allowed to use the patient’s bathroom and shower. In rare occasions, special considerations may need to be made depending on the patient’s condition or room placement
- Will receive complementary food trays provided by Sodexo and MVHS.
As a reminder, with the exception outlined above and a few other rare instances, MVHS has a no visitor policy in place throughout the system to protect patients, residents and staff from COVID-19. If you have questions or would like more information about the Labor and Delivery restrictions, please call 315-624-6213.